Friday, November 13, 2009

Resolution Reboot

I've decided to put NaNo on hold. I've decided to put the claymation on hold. I've decided to put my collaborative feature on hold. I've decided to put my teaching internship on hold. I've decided to put my "zombie" manuscript's third draft on hold. I've decided to put my seven half-finished stories and my three ready-for-final-edit stories on hold. I've decided not to take any more classes this year. Just keep the one job I have. Talk to my friends a little less. I've decided to put my second spec TV script on hold, my first TV pilot on hold, and my second edit on last year's TV fellowship application script on hold. The short movie script I've "finished" for Xmas filming is on hold. My newest short film script is, too.

My plate is currently so full that the super-expensive, important, favorite food is about to rot beneath the pile of other stuff.

This past year, I met my New Year's resolutions, and I'm proud of that.

--Blogging. I started this blog in order to interact with other writers, which hasn't happened all that much... but along the way, I've become much more focused in and articulate about my process, which has been an immense help. The blog has been a success, at least for me as a writer, and I plan to continue it.

--Finishing a novel manuscript I could be proud of. Even though I haven't edited it to my satisfaction it IS entirely down on paper, follows a coherent plot, and is worth taking someplace--even if I'm not at the end of the road with it yet.

--Applying to the T.V. Fellowship. I was scared, inexperienced, and who knows how successful? But I did it! I met the deadline, and got a full spec outlined, written, and edited.

--Applying to grad schools. This is still in progress, but going strong (thank God).

The aim in 2008 was to dedicate myself to writing. The aim in 2009 was to find start finding a place in the writing community. The aim for 2010 is to begin a focused effort to specific goals.

When writing first became my priority (as a college grad, not student), I had a hard time finding projects that felt right. But now I'm overwhelmed by ideas I love. The problem is, I've been hopscotching around, doing as much as I can on all of them, never truly feeling proud and finished with one.

So my aim this year is, in short, to finish things. That means working on one or two projects at a time, toward one goal at a time.

Right now, my goal is to have the strongest grad school application I possibly can. That means the only things I'm *not* putting on hold are the things I need to do to meet that goal. So, I've got two stories, four essays, and a play to write, as well as school forms to fill out. AND THAT'S ALL (I swear).

No comments:

Post a Comment