Thursday, February 18, 2010

day 6704283495769 of my captivity

So, another day done outlining my TV spec. A great outline makes a great script, so the time and effort to make it perfect is sure to be worth it. And I've dug so deep into the characters I appreciate the show in a whole new way. Obviously, I respected it before, but DAMN this bitch has some authenticity.

But of course I'm anxious to start drafting! For God's sake, the dialogue fun I'll have once I finally get to, yanno, WRITE.

Soon enough. Early next week I'll probably be ready. Ready for a whole new batch of problems.

My outlining problems have been:

--going too small. I love melodrama, so any chance to put characters together EMOTING is like manna from heaven--I could live off the stuff and be happy. But they've got to do things, too, of course. And I've got to give these fascinating characters exciting plots in beautiful settings. If only they could just talk and sometimes kiss! But if all the scenes were those scenes, they'd have no resonance...so...without horror there is no beauty and all that bull.

--going too big. At the same time, the stakes in this show are always social. So the FIRE/OVERDOSE/BLAH doesn't work. Even though they'd be perfect for SVU or othersuch non-subtle shit.

--too complex. Speaks for itself. I need to get a lot of bang for each buck--there's a limit to how many bucks I've got, though, and therefore I've got to accept somewhat limited bang.

It hasn't really been all THAT long, but it's so hard dealing with the writing-constipation/anticipation that comes from waiting and waiting and waiting to draft. Aaargh.

No comments:

Post a Comment