Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bluestocking Bluebook

I take back most, if not all, of what I said about the class I'm taking. Since the first session, the instructor *has* seemed engaged, and though we mostly use texts I've already read, she's putting their ideas into a revision system that 1. makes revision seem digestible 2. will probably work.

Part of my problem was that I've been revising my current manuscript for so long that I've stumbled into each of her revision steps, albeit not in her order.

But during a panic attack over this story I realized: this is a good roadmap! *This* is why I took that class.

So here are the steps:

1. Re-read the piece, hardcopy, with no pen and no criticism.
2. Write a logline
3. Write a one paragraph (catchy) summary
4. Write a step-sheet
5. Go through each chapter (in the story's case, each act/section), and create a have/need map.
6. Section by section, turn all the "needs" into "haves."
7. Repeat steps 5-6 as necessary
8. Line edits-- make it pretty!

Analytical little me is going to have a field day with this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment