Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I want a perfect Body, I want a perfect Soul

Showing: dialogue, physical action.
Telling:  physical description of characters, important details of setting

In critique groups, it comes up again and again that my stories are intriguing, but too coy.  

People recommend: more physical description of the people and places, more explicit explanation of what's going on.  But that stuff is so boring.  Is it necessary?

I've always thought those requests really meant the story wasn't vivid enough.  But how can I make something more vivid, without adding more action?  How can I do description without too much "telling" or boring info dumps?

Guess I just have to make a character's every word and action more *specific* to him/her.  Guess I have to find more *telling* details for each person or place.
And try again.

HELP!

No comments:

Post a Comment