Saturday, January 3, 2009

Same Sh*t, Different Day!

A week or so ago,  a great premise popped into my head.  It was perfect for my novel!
Sadly, I'd just finished that novel's first draft.
So now I'm writing a new draft, but shaped around this new premise.

Discovering that the novel I'd written and the novel I should have written were two different things was like biting into a cookie and tasting old bologna.  I wanted to cry.  Today, though, was my first real day making those two novels one.  And.... TODAY WENT WELL!  It was actually fun.

My characters are still the same people they always were, and a lot of their interaction is the same, too....

Only now, they've got something interesting to do!  And everything is falling into place pretty well- pacing, plot twists, motivation!

Of course, I'm still terrified that I'll be killed or maimed or someone for some reason will look at the draft as is.  But, one day at a time, right?  

Here's hoping that someday I'll have a draft I actually HOPE people will read.  How long does that usually take, anyway?  Version one hundred ninety-eight of the same book about the same people?!

No comments:

Post a Comment