Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Man Plans, God Laughs

I outline at least as much as I write.  But so far, all those outlines have sucked.  

Normally, I outline, crack my knuckles, and start to type the new work.  Which usually means hunching in the rocking chair in my bedroom and going into a trance for a few hours.

Within a couple lines, the new work is never *anything* like the outline.  So that outline gets thrown away, and a new one is built the next day. 

Over the past few days, though, I've been working on an outline- for the entire novel, not just a particular section or chapter (which is what I usually do).  The plot's getting better.  In fact, I'm starting to really like it!  But what if I can't help but careen off the rails?  What if I'm incapable of following a plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment