Sunday, July 19, 2009

It's FUCKING HORRIBLE being green

I was thinking about Jane Smiley's A Thousand Acres today, and getting so jealous. Maybe I, too, should lift a plot from Shakespeare and turn it into a Pulitzer Prize.

God knows I can't do it on my own. My plot is turning out to be way too Mafia-- and I'm not at all interested in the Mafia. I get amorality, but immorality, not so much. And I don't get hierarchies at all. Should I throw this plot out and start again? I feel like this is straying incredibly far from my concept, which has to do with genies.

Apparently, a good book writing schedule is: 2 months prep (plotting, note-taking, character bios, etc), 2 months writing, 2 months editing. Does that mean I have a full month left to plot? I might need it. Though the character bios have turned out nicely-- even the Djinn-centric ones.

Maybe it won't be the *mob,* it'll be a corporation. Lately I've been so money hungry (read: broke) that talking business would be fun. And my heroine/love interest is already neck-deep in a medical supply start-up.

Uh oh, maybe I'm more Ayn Rand than Jane Smiley.

And I've NEVER EVER been jealous of Ayn Rand.

So, I guess the point is: I'm intending to work on the plot until I get it right. Which might take a while, because for me, the plot's the toughest part.

No comments:

Post a Comment