Thursday, July 23, 2009

NEWSFLASH: Love Conquers All

My current manuscript is a love story.

Yes, a happy, drippy, emotionally overwrought but moving and beautiful love story: two people who can only be happy together, kept apart.... until they overcome society and foibles and bad upbringings and all. Until suddenly-- heart/eyes/arms full-- they aren't apart anymore.

I've been very busy with synopsis and notes. Last week, I tried to write a scene just to see how close I am to "pages"-- it went very badly, but some good details and twists came out of it. So I wrote up character bios and thought about theme.

A couple days ago, my mother asked what the story was about, and I told her. Only instead of giving her the so-called A-story, I told her about the love story that had inspired the concept to begin with. She loved it, and I realized I had lost my way.

Not to say the work I did before was worthless-- no, it was vital. But I need to change the emphasis.

And I've had a personal tragedy this week (a death in the family). Honestly, I don't feel up to writing about fighting and killing and anger. Love and thwarted dreams and a slower pace feels right, for now.

Today, I sketched out an outline that's been percolating out of the raw material of my old synopsis and notes and outlines and bios. This feels right, though it still needs a great deal of refining.

My goals with this manuscript, as well as my prep for it:
-- Use more emotional climaxes and twists (as opposed to physical ones)
-- Savor each scene
-- Make it beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment