Tuesday, April 21, 2009

(bang bang) My Baby Shot Me Down

Anybody else see Gossip Girl last night?

Anybody else worried Chuck's going to kill himself?

"I won't be around"?!

Ok, maybe I'm surrounded by especially unstable/dramatic people, but if somebody was getting wasted alone in his room, and came out to say he's thinking of disappearing....

WHERE IS ERIC? I thought the dude was actually friends with Chuck, AND he tried to kill himself (why, btw?!) *last year*. Jenny, you know all that-- could you call him, please?

Jeez, I actually find Ed Westwick a really subtle actor. I KNOW! The guy who plays CHUCK?! you ask?

But I was really impressed last night with how he played a drunk person. Like, a seriously sh*tfaced person. He didn't make Chuck look like a fool, just like someone who had been drinking *way* too much. And I would be happy if they would finally acknowedge that he's an alcoholic.

When I first started watching the show, I didn't really think about his drinking. I'm half French, I like my alcohol, I thought it was normal. But eventually, I realized that the character is drinking hard liquor in nearly every scene. AND, his character actually makes TONS of sense if you read him as drunk *all the time*.

That weird voice thing, for one. Moving too slowly. Looking at people too intently. Over-reacting to everything, but in a totally nonsensicle way.

And, as a guy who recently filmed a YouTube PSA about alcholism on Gossip Girl said, the way everyone discribes him as "eccentric."

So yeah, Chuck's obviously a huge mess, and I've found the last few episodes really disturbing because of it. I literally find it difficult to watch his scenes-- does anybody else feel that way? I know, I know-- just a self-pitying poor little rich boy character.

But ironically, I find that Chuck's a gentleman for the most part (started feeling this way when he was *SO* nice/polite to Lily/Mrs. Bass, and I also like that he brings gifts to people's houses when he visits them. Well-raised, as my mother would say). He's always ready to help his friends, and doesn't say/do anything when they walk all over him later.

Serena, why do you expect Chuck to support you when you're running from the law/Georgiana, but talk to him like he's a piece of crap? She's the one who got him kicked out of the Bass/Van Der Woodson suite, remember-- and didn't get him back in when it turned out he was innocent! And yeah, he's done her wrong (in the pilot, when he's a *total* freak), but she obviously trusted him later, because she ran to him when she got into trouble.

Blaire, are you seriously an idiot? There is *NO* way Nate would ever be supportive of you or help you get out of the slightest mistake. His dad maxed out Nate's family loyalty card last season, and besides-- you'll never be family. On the other hand, you don't even have to ask Chuck to help you-- he's the one that swooped in when even Serena didn't want to deal with your mini-meltdown.

Lily, why were you so pressed to get Chuck in the apartment if you thought it was fine to leave him to his own devices? I understand why he doesn't think he can trust you! I wouldn't trust your Bart-dumping ass any further than last week. And now you're inviting the Humphrey clan to live in Chuck's hotel? Seriously? Could you get it together until the seniors leave for college, at least? Could you *please* plan a mother-son day with him? He would eat it up with a spoon! Actually, you should plan a day with him where he shows you/helps you how to do something he knows better than you do-- though I don't know what that is. Or, everyone could take a vacation-- Serena wants it, you and Rufus want it, Chuck needs it, and Jenny could stay home if she's freaked/too intense as usual. Whatever, you said you would be a mother to him, he obviously cares about that (raged against you after his dad died, saved you from his uncle, asked to come live with you-- why do you think he *asked* by the way? He *wants* to be around you), and then you drop the ball. UUUUGH.

Nate- whatever. You're so obviously the most self-centered person on Earth. I don't care what your reasoning was for ditching Chuck in the middle of his sodden pity-party, or your reasoning for running to Blaire-- you're the most emotionally unavailable person on Earth. Your relationship to Chuck is *such* a dysfunctional high school romance. He's pining away for you, and you don't give a sh*t, just ditch him for your (girl)friends. I totally get how you missed your father's addiction for so long, btw.

Anyway, it's like now that he's not actually passed out in Thailand and his father's been dead for a whole two months or whatever-- everyone's just *over* him... which is a problem b/c instead of calling them on it and asking for attention, he just gets upset and goes silent and drinks. Which I get, because I, too, am a big fan of the "bottling up" method of anger management. But it is SERIOUSLY difficult for me to watch.

Anybody else?

No comments:

Post a Comment