Thursday, April 30, 2009

In Treatment

Struggling through a couple treatments.

Yes, I was writing only the one spec. But... it was giving me so much trouble! And this other show is really cool! And... anything to keep from doing what I should be doing, right? So now I'm doing two at once.

On the one hand, I've found writing a treatment (to me, treatment: a script written scene-by-scene, in story form) *really* helpful. On the other hand, I've also found it really difficult.

Treatment Pros:
My plots and themes are cohesive
It's easier to spot holes and pacing problems in a *story* than a bare outline
Writing the actual script should be fast and fun, and afterwords I'll only need a line edit

Cons:
No immediate gratification. In the end, you've got a few thousand words of relatively tame fan-fic. No in depth dialogue, no clearly visualized action = no fun to write!

No comments:

Post a Comment