Tuesday, March 17, 2009

and no one even knew it was really only you

Plot Arc:

Act 1: Hook. Exposition.  Ends in a (the) turning point
Act 2: Total Confusion.  First (stupid) attempt to fix the (assumed) problem.  Ends in disaster.
Act 3: Sh*t hits the fan.  Ends when the hero(ine) discovers the *real* problem.
Act 4: Fix the *real* problem.
Act 5: WIN! (or lose).  
Epilogue: Tie up loose ends, especially sub-plots.  Add the twist, if necessary.  

I'm at the end of Act 4 right now.  And I've forgotten entirely what it felt like to be in Act 1.  I don't even really remember the nadir (at the end of Act 3).  I don't even know if there *was* a nadir.... though, the lowest point is a relative measurement so....

ANYWAY, this novel is too big for me to keep all of it in my head at once and it's easy to forget what came before the portion I'm currently working on.  I've never written anything this long or complex before.  But it has opened up a whole new world of self-doubt.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I don't remember a g*d*mned thing from the beginning or middle of the story, so I'll be able to get right cracking on the re-writes.

Yippee?

In other news: one more day before the rough draft is complete.

Now THAT is a YIPPEE!

No comments:

Post a Comment