Tuesday, March 3, 2009

S: I was here. K: How do you know? *cue creepy music* S: Because I remember

That was the exchange that officially ended my time as a Heroes viewer.  

Ok, that's a lie because I have a Heroes spec that I need to keep fairly current.  (I know, I know- Heroes is a terrible show to spec because it's serialized and on the bubble.  But it's hard to find a show with a lot of fighting, and it's the only show in which people can use their mind control powers or their flying or super-freeze or whatever during that fighting.  Plus, like I wrote yesterday, I think Sylar could be a cool character.)  

But since when is memory a superpower?  And none of the plot-lines make sense!  Whatever, I'm not going to vent about it now.  But if any of you have stuck with Heroes, please feel free to do the venting for me :)

Anyway, tonight's the Nip/Tuck in which Christian decides to be a vampire.  Yes.  Seriously.  Or, at least that's how it looked on the pro-mo.  But those guys know what they're doing- I'm going to watch, for sure.

And, I NEEEEEED to get caught up on Gossip Girl.  At first I didn't watch because I'm not into those 90210 shows- just not my thing.  But I've caught a few by accident, and they're REALLY good (and more like a hard-hitting Nip/Tuck than 90210 anyway).  So good that last night, I watched the re-run, even though that was one of the three episodes I'd seen before.

Reasons to love Gossip Girl:

1.  Emotions make sense.  Nobody does anything without a good reason.  People try to be good.  But when they need to protect themselves or feel hurt, they lash out.  

2.  It takes place in an alternate reality in which a kid can both sign adoption papers and have a cocktail at the opera- at the same time.  Though, to be fair, I wouldn't card Chuck Bass, either.

3.  The scenes are exactly the right length.  Which sounds stupid- but is VERY difficult to get right.  The scenes move quickly, without feeling like it gives anyone the short shrift.  They throw the right characters together at the right moments (a lot of shows, ie Lost and Heroes, make HUGE problems for themselves because they don't bring characters together so we can see their reactions to the things happening around them.  The reaction is just as important as the action!  When we can't witness reactions, it creates a disconnect between the characters and the audience, and the characters and each other.  

And the scenes multi-task.  For example- in last night's episode, Blaire gets a phone call and decides she has to apologize to a teacher RIGHT THEN, so she leaves the opera hall right before the show gets started.  The next scene is with Chuck at the hall's bar.  His scene gets started, and a few seconds in, we see Blaire run past in the background.  So, we know what's happening with Blaire and what's happening with Chuck, and where everyone is physically- but in the most elegant, efficient possible way.  

The show is very well paced all-together, which I love because I'm a twitchy, restless person who yells at the T.V. and wonders off and etc.  

4.  And, obviously, everything looks great- the cast, the clothes, the photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment