Saturday, March 7, 2009

storks don't really bring them, you know

Fun plot-twists come from:

interesting places
newspapers
advice columns
research/random facts

But for me, the only real inspiration- the place my ideas come from- is fear.

I write better when I'm unhappy.  I write best when I'm freaking terrified.  Afraid that I have no money, afraid that someone I love is sick, afraid that someone I love is dying, afraid that I'm in over my head, afraid that I can't protect the people who need protection, afraid that I can't protect myself, afraid that everything and everyone is bigger and smarter and richer than me and I'm just an idiot with bad luck.  Afraid that I'm blind.  

That's the worst one: terrified that I can't see what's happening or what will happen.  And that's where writing comes in.  Writing is a kind of practice run, and when something really bad is happening, writing becomes the escape. 

Oh,  being broke/losing someone/mental illness/being shat upon is great research!  This is TOTALLY worth it!  

The funny thing is- I guess it is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment