Monday, March 2, 2009

my shallow heart's the only thing that's beating

A movie (traditionally) has a single major climax: a life-defining, a moment of supreme victory and/or supreme defeat.  That's why vengeance stories work so well as movies (ie, Die Hard).

A television show starts with a character or group of characters in an especially trying situation.  Every week, that situation tries the character(s) in a different way- a way that is especially trying.  The characters on a T.V. show are tested every week, with no end- or reward- in sight.  That's why redemption stories work so well as T.V. shows (ie, Angel).

Ok, ok, so a woman turned Angel evil.  Another woman made him good again- until she had sex with him.  After that, he was evil again, so she killed him.  But he came back and they could be together- and he could be good- as long as they NEVER HAD SEX AGAIN.  A little gross.  I know Joss Whedon is a feminist and blah blah blah, but... still, a little gross.  

Strangely enough, Sylar on Heroes has a similar story:
1. Cute blond goads him into murder.
2. Goes on a spree.
3. Tries to stop, so OF COURSE, turns to a woman for help (only with him, it was his mother).
4. And with him, she was the one who got killed.
5. But of course, he tried to be good for ANOTHER woman (thought she was his biological mother).
6. Went on another spree when it turned out she lied.  

With Angel, it was sex that set him off.  With Sylar it's lying, I guess.

YET.  

Angel worked, I think.  At times, his quest for redemption had a material goal: to become human.  Ultimately, the journey was the goal in and of itself.  

Sylar just sort of switches back and forth- between "I'm a murder!"  and "I'm not a murderer!"  Maybe over time, his story will become more subtle and less obviously goal-oriented.   He's the last remaining saving grace on Heroes, in my opinion, though his character has gotten a serious bludgeoning this season.

Which is why I'm excited for the new episode tonight, I guess.  Despite how infuriating that show is, and how I can't get through an episode without one or two drinks.  

Maybe I'm just excited for those one or two drinks.

But I keep watching because I think Sylar has real potential to be interesting.  Once again, he's a character with a REAL dilemma.  He can either be a murderous "somebody" or a moral "nobody." (unlike Claire and her- I'm immortal!  But that sucks!  "dilemma," etc.).  Even if I don't agree with how the Heroes writers are dealing with Sylar's redemption story, I am always curious.

Which reminds me:

I put a post-it up on my mirror that says "Dilemma!  Paradox!  Compromise of self!" because I don't want to forget the stuff I learned from watching hour upon hour of Star Wars.  Which, btw, I'm still thinking about buying.  Worth it?  I dunno.

No comments:

Post a Comment