Wednesday, February 25, 2009

CALL ME! Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere

How much action is too much?  It was kind of my question yesterday, too, but....

I love writing action scenes- the kind where lazy susans and hydrometers and car doors and jeans and ravioli cans become SUPER SCARY WEAPONS.

But someplace after the 1780000839048002380th action scene in the first 200 pages of my novel, I started feeling.... bored.  So I tried to write an emotionally resonant scene, to explain why saving a certain girl is important to the main character.  

THE SCENE IS TERRIBLE.  

So I though- ok, the solution might be to turn the "why is this girl important" explanation into a *REAL* scene, and not just some girl whining.  Also, maybe the problem isn't the number of action scenes, it's that the ones I have don't mix it up enough.  

So, ways to mix up the action scenes- set them in cooler places?

Car (check)
Basement (check)
Kitchen (check)
Dog Kennel (check)
Roadside (check)
Laboratory (check)

No bathrooms yet though.  No SUPER inclosed places.  Which is strange, because my favorite action scene of all time is in a Jason Borne movie (forgot which one) when Jason fights hand-to-hand in an apartment's tiny bathroom stall.  

Right now, I've got no car chases.  Or really, any chases.  And not much running, though quite a bit of pummeling.  That could- and should- change.  

No airplanes (etc) yet either, but that probably (?) won't change (because of the cast of characters- none have access to planes, etc.... unless....hmm)

No really tall buildings.  That probably won't change (because of the setting).

Any other cool places?  What would be the worst place EVER to have to fight?

No comments:

Post a Comment