Friday, February 13, 2009

every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

Learned this the hard way, and thought it might be helpful:

*****I will ALWAYS outline the end before beginning to write a piece.*****

Here's why:

If I know the end (though not necessarily how I'll get there) it's SO much easier to keep up enthusiasm for my daily grind.

The story stays taut, and the dramatic drive stays strong.  

I've got actual plot problems to solve and think through, instead of a series of obstacles invented as I go- so I'm a LOT smarter about twists and solutions.

The story stays unified, and the story questions stay clear.

Thinking up good endings can be *really* tough once there are subplots and tertiary characters and bunches of locations, etc.  Tackling the ending is only about half as tough when I have a clear destination I've been working towards for the duration.  

Plus, since the end won't feel as daunting, I'm not as tempted to pad and ramble and avoid writing it.

So, I'll never write something again without having a strong idea for the story's ending- for the sake of my work, and my mental health.

No comments:

Post a Comment