Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Masturbation or Self-Flagellation?

I can write any place I can plug in my computer.

It doesn't matter if I'm alone or with a classroom full of kids, I zone out and everything else disappears within a minute or two.  (Which is why I try not to write while I'm teaching- even if the kids are busy ;) ).

But sometimes I wonder- how difficult or easy is it supposed to be?  

Yesterday, I ended up writing a character into my YA who I love.  The problem is, I've loved a version of this particular character since I was about six years old.  So he's still only as interesting and nuanced as someone created/loved by a six-year-old; ie, not exactly (teen)fiction material.

Every day I escape into this strange dreamworld, peopled by all kinds of interesting characters.  But where does "making fiction" stop and mental masturbation start?  

No comments:

Post a Comment