Saturday, February 14, 2009

It's the EYE OF THE TIGER, it's the CREAM OF THE FIGHT

The YA is at the point in the story where the sh*t has hit the fan, and it's now time for the climax/ending.  Only, because the set up (parts 1 & 2) is still so bare (the story has gotten A LOT more complicated as it's gone on), I'm having trouble determining how the climax should go.  I think the story questions have been kind of lost in all the complications of parts 2 & 3, and so I'm unsure what the climax needs to prove, or how the main character has changed- what she can do now that she couldn't before.

Solution:
Make an outline (on note-cards) of every scene I've got.
Write the (roughly) fifteen more scenes that I need in parts 1 & 2 so that the story makes sense as it is so far, and properly sets up what needs to happen next.

I hope that by looking at where I've been, I'll be better able to understand where I need to go.

I feel a tug to do a full editing job on the first three parts, but worry that would kill all the finale's freshness- think I need to stay in "rough draft" mode for now.  But the climax is a delicate point for me (I tend to go too big), so I need to think theme and set-up through somewhat before I take the plunge.

Hope this outlining/filling out is a good compromise between editorial analysis and the creative flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment