Sunday, February 15, 2009

if the pirates of the caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists

I was reading Jurassic Park today, for notes on structure, and on how to plug in scientific information with style.  The book really does chug right along, with hook after hook after hook and no good place to stop reading.  And because my story isn't exactly like it, and Jurassic Park works so well, I had a anxiety fit and haven't written yet today.  

My story doesn't have DINOSAURS, or AMUSEMENT PARKS, or GLAMOROUS RICH PEOPLE, or CUTE CHILDREN or tons and tons of HIGHLY REGARDED EXPERTS, and my characters aren't stuck in a TROPICAL PARADISE!

Every scene in Jurassic Park relates DIRECTLY, OBVIOUSLY to the central hook (that dinosaurs are back).  In theory, I knew every scene was supposed to do that... but I didn't realize HOW directly they could/should relate.  I've got groundwork for subplots getting laid in, I've got people with agendas that will LATER have to do with the central conceit of the story, but don't seem to at the moment... I've got scenes where the focus isn't obviously on the BIG SCARY conceit.

Guess I've got to change that.

It's helpful reading a book that works in a way that I want my book to work... but it's scary, too. 

Because I don't know if I can make my book as good.  And even if I do my very best to make it entertaining and smooth and interesting, but the hook just isn't hook-y enough or the whole thing is just too lite?  Too "trashy"?  Too strange?

What if, after working as hard as I possibly can, for no money and less respect, I end up with a piece of crap story that nobody wants to read?

God, who thought Jurassic Park was ever going to give ANYBODY this much existential angst? 

No comments:

Post a Comment